On this episode, we will:
- Get to know Jeff a little better and also get some insight on how he was able to parlay his passion for comic books into a career as an artist for DC.
- Ask Jeff some off the beaten path questions in our Thunder Round.
- Put a quick spotlight on some artists that recently caught our attention online in our Art Watch segment.
- Then we’ll Flash Forward and talk about what’s on the horizon for all of us (San Diego Comic-Con)! Note…Jeff has an exclusive lapel pin at this year’s SDCC of his personal project, Skull Thumper! Make sure to go visit him in Artist Alley, EE-23.
Art by Jeff:
Questions we asked Jeff:
- What was 11 year old Jeff like?
- When did you start drawing? What did you like to draw in the beginning?
- Can you tell us about the moment when you decided to pursue art professionally?
- Where your parents supportive of your decision?
- I remember you coming into my shop to play video games back in the 1996. Can you tell us about your journey from video game playing college student to becoming a Digital Production Artist at DC?
- What’s a typical workday like for you?
- What’s it like working for Jim Lee?
- You worked on his Icons coffee table book correct? Can you tell us about your involvement in that book?
- Can you tell us about your recent trip to Japan? As a huge manga/anime/Japanese culture fan…we’re sure that trip was incredible!
- Who are some of your influences (we noticed you follow ArtGerm and Warren Louw on your Deviant Art page)? Where do you draw inspiration from?
- I love the prints that you sell at conventions…especially the Batman/Akira mashup and your different Batgirls. How do you decide what you want to create? Are you going to have another Batgirl print…especially since it’s Batgirl’s 50th anniversary?
- Any plans to do any sequential art?
- Any advice for the young artists out there?
- What’s one thing your fans would be surprised to know about you?
Thunder Round Questions:
- If real life was a cartoon, what cartoon universe would you want to live in?
- If you were to lead a mission to Mars…what four other people would you want to take the trip with you?
- We sometimes ask people what they would do with a million dollars, but this time we’ll ask – what would you do if we gave you $100?
- If a movie was made about you, who would you want to play you and what kind of music would be on the soundtrack?
- How did you get your nickname?
- On your Instagram you commented that your MySpace page was still active.
- Is Tom still your friend?
- What was it like going through old photos?
- Are you still an avid gamer? What kind of video games do you play?
- If you were president, what artwork would you hang in the Oval Office?
- Since you’re a foodie and you have people like Anthony Bourdain saying that Filipino food is the next big thing (naming the dish pork sisig as the gateway drug)…what do you think? What’s your favorite Filipino dish?
- There are so many movies being remade. You list Big Trouble In Little China as one of your favorite movies…would you watch a remade version of that?
Art Watch Artists:
Follow Our Guest Online:
Thank YOU for listening to the Hall H Show! Our mission is to put the mainstream Hall H spotlight on artists, writers and other creatives…such as DC Comics Digital Production Artist, Jeff Martinez!
We all love attending conventions…so please make it a point to visit Artist Alley at all the conventions you plan on going to this year. Speaking of conventions…please make sure you are continuing to be SDCC fit for the long con season ahead. Join in on the fun by following the #SDCCfit movement online on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
If you are listening to us on Google Play, iTunes or Stitcher, we would appreciate a rating and a comment. We are always looking for interesting guests to have on the show…so if you have any suggestions, please reach out to us on social media using the hashtag, #HallHshow.
Are you an artist wanting to promote your Kickstarter campaign for an upcoming project? Let us know! Peace…cheers…and Artists Assemble! Music by The Passion HiFi. #HallHShow #ArtistsAssemble