We welcome back Rylend Grant the writer and creator of Aberrant, Banjax, and The Jump. This episode is also available on Google Play, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeart Radio and Spotify. The Hall H Show is hosted by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
Hey there Hall H Show listeners!
Aaron Nabus here and we continue with another interview that was recorded before the pandemic with good friend of the Hall H Show, Rylend Grant – who makes his fourth appearance!
When this podcast was recorded in late 2019, Rylend was still celebrating his 2019 Ringo Award win for Best Villain (Lance Cordrey from Aberrant) as well as additional nominations for Best Writer and Best Single Story or Issue for Aberrant. Additionally, he had also just launched his newest comic at the time, Banjax, which is available on Amazon right now.
We not only talk about what it felt like to win the award and receive those additional nominations, but we also touch on how he was originally on a path to be a political operative, why he feels it’s important to help other comic book creators, that Skeet Ulrich owes him $37, the camaraderie that he enjoys with quite a few of his fellow comic book creators, his days as part of a 90’s grunge band, why he loves chef David Chang, and his newest comic, The Jump (which had a successful Kickstarter).
Lastly, this episode is also chock full of things you probably didn’t know about Rylend – like how he is a Zen Buddist Monk, was a professional poker player, and that he even had an uncredited role as a “stabbing vagrant” in Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier! Enjoy!
Interviewing Rylend at Los Angeles Comic Con 2017.
Interviewing Rylend at WonderCon 2018.
Thunder Round Questions:
- What was it like to be the Winner of the 2004 Final Draft Big Break International Screenplay Competition?
- You describe yourself as a director of your comic books. If a movie adaptation of your comic book was going to be made, who would you want to direct it? Who would play Laird Mason and Abel Raines (two of the main characters from Banjax)?
- If you could recommend a book or movie to your 15 year old self what would it be and why did you choose that book or movie?
- In your grunge band, did you guys have a signature song that you covered?
- Why are you a big fan of David Chang?
- What’s one thing your fans would be surprised to learn about you?
Follow Rylend Grant:
The Writers Block Podcast (first episode at Mainframe Comic Con 2020).
Hosts: Rylend Grant and David Avallone
Guests: David F. Walker and Erica Schultz
Thank you so much for tuning into the Hall H Show podcast, where we love showcasing independent comic book creators like Rylend Grant.
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent creators, please leave us a comment and rating (hopefully five stars) on Apple Podcasts. You can also find this podcast on Google Play, Stitcher, iHeartRadio and even Spotify!
Peace, cheers, and remember that representation matters. If you would like to recommend a guest that you feel deserves more attention, please reach out to us on any of our social media accounts or the contact form on our contact form.