Karla Nappi comes on Episode 101 of the Hall H Show to talk about issue #4 of her indie comic book, Duplicant! This episode is also available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeart Radio and Spotify. The Hall H Show is hosted by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
We are happy to have our previous guest from episode 79 (which was recorded at San Diego Comic-Con 2019), the writer and creator of the comic book Duplicant, Karla Nappi!
As a quick recap, I first met Karla at one of Rylend Grant’s panels at WonderCon a few years ago and when we last talked, she and her family had moved from Santa Monica, CA to her hometown of Oradell, NJ.
Growing up, she was a huge fan of shows like The X-Files and movies like Silence of the Lambs, which I’m sure had an influence on the darker side of Duplicant, a very entertaining comic book that also has shades of the movie Minority Report.
Karla is currently doing a Kickstarter for issue #4 of Duplicant (which ends on March 3rd, 2021) and I’m happy that she’s back to talk about it. Welcome back to the show Karla! ~Aaron
Opening Round Questions:
- What has this pandemic been like for you professionally? We all miss comic conventions. For comic creators like yourself, I’m sure it’s been a huge loss in terms of networking and promoting your books. In the absence of comic conventions, what are some things that you’ve done to stay in the game…to stay connected to peers and fans?
- What about personally? Tell us about this crosswalk campaign that you recently spearheaded. Are you getting into politics now?
- What shows, movies, books or comic books have been your “comfort food” during this pandemic?
- Duplicant is a scifi thriller about a man who offers hope during a pandemic and is a story that was influenced by the AIDs epidemic and movies like Minority Report and Repo: Genetic Opera. While it was created way before our current pandemic, can you describe how it feels to be working on a book about a pandemic, during a pandemic?
Comic Book / Kickstarter:
- Without spoiling too much, would you mind doing a quick recap of issues #1 – #3 and a then giving tease for issue #4 for someone new to the Duplicant universe?
- Tell us about the creative team.
- Love the consistent looks of the covers. What’s the purpose of having a branded look?
- What are some of the Kickstarter highlights?
About Duplicant Issue #4 (from Kickstarter page):
Duplicant is an on-going comic book series written by Karla Nappi, illustrated by Marianna Strychowska, with letters by Carlos Mangual, and covers by Leila del Duca and Owen Gieni.
Duplicant came from my love of dystopian future movies like Minority Report, Blade Runner, and a little known movie called Repo: The Genetic Opera. The idea of repo men for organs struck a creative chord in me, and I decided to do my own unique twist on it.Karla Nappi (Creator and Writer of Duplicant)
At its heart, Duplicant is a thriller about the forces conspiring against the one man who offers hope during a pandemic. That one man is Matt Travers, a scientist who creates duplicate organs that saves humanity from the organ failure contagion – only their high cost forces people into indentured servitude. In answer to this, a dangerous black market arises which is run by a religious fanatic and Matt’s former mentor.
Following Matt’s deadly encounter with a “Duplicant,” a recipient of his technology, Matt’s life blows up. He comes to question everything he knows as he strives to learn the truth behind his encounter, and along the way uncovers an even bigger mystery about the fate of mankind.
Issue 4 finds Matt with an unexpected ally, and a bombshell revelation could upend everything he once knew to be true. Meanwhile Robert has a crisis of faith; Sean tries to connect with his family; and Ava continues the hunt for the mole.
Thunder Round Questions:
- Once we get past this pandemic, what place do you want to visit first?
- If you had the opportunity to go on a one way trip either to the past or to the future, which one would you pick and why?
- When Duplicant get’s adapted into a TV series or movie, who do you envision playing some of your characters? Who would you want to direct it?
- The last time we talked, you mentioned Magicians as one of the shows that you would love to write for. Are there any other ones that pique your interest?
- Describe your perfect pizza.
Creative Advice Questions:
- Last time we talked, you gave good advice on making comic books – the importance of having a finished product, having a good group of people to run ideas through and paying your creative team upfront. Is there anything else you’d like to add to that?
- A lot of creatives that have found success are the ones that seem to have set themselves up to play the long game. What are some things that you’ve done to put yourself in the best position for long term success?
- Why do you love what you do? What drives you to write and create?
- Is there a person or group of people that has helped you along the way that you’d like to thank?
- Is there an artist, writer, or other creative that you’d like our audience to check out?
Follow Karla Nappi:
Thank YOU for listening to the Hall H Show podcast! And, thanks to our special guest, Karla Nappi!
We love putting the spotlight on independent pop culture and comic book creatives, if you have a suggestion for a potential guest, please let us know!
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent pop culture creators, don’t be scared to give us a five star rating and a comment on Apple Podcasts. You can also find this podcast on Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeartRadio and even Spotify!
Peace, cheers and stay safe out there. If you would like to recommend a guest that you feel deserves more attention, please reach out to us on any of our social media accounts or the contact form on our contact form.