Hall H Show host Aaron Nabus talks to Terry Mayo and Dave Swartz about their indie comic book, Buddy! This episode is also available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Deezer, Amazon Music, and Spotify. The Hall H Show is hosted by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
Hello fellow nerds, geeks and supporters of indie pop culture creators! Aaron Nabus here and welcome to another episode of the Hall H Show!
It’s been a while since we had our guest for this episode, Terry Mayo, on the podcast. You can check out the video of my first interview with him from October of 2017 at Panels Comic Book and Coffee Bar, in Oceanside, CA on the Hall H Show YouTube channel or the audio version as part of Episode 29 – which also features a bunch of other San Diego indie comic creators that I interviewed that day.
Terry has an interesting story from growing up in Texas, surviving cancer, making his way to California, and writing screenplays and then comic books. He’s also working as a nurse and raising 14 kids!
I miss seeing him at conventions and local San Diego comic related events. I’m glad he found time out of his busy schedule to jump on the podcast today to get me caught on what he’s been up to – like his new comic book, Buddy (a family friendly horror tale about a pug trying to save his family from a horde of demons), which is on Kickstarter until Saturday, 6/5/21. And although it has successfully reached its goal, please still consider supporting it. Terry is also known for his other comic books, The Wicked Righteous and Disposable Legends and also a few anthologies.
Welcome back to the show, Terry! And also joining us is the artist for Buddy, Dave Swartz (Feast or Famine, Confederate Monster)!
Oh, I was just joking about the 14 kids! But, let’s all wish him and his wife congratulations on the eighth one on the way! I think the last time we had him on, he only had six kids. ~Aaron
First Interview with Terry (2017):
Kickstarter Promo for Buddy:
- Handling rejection. 18:13
- Dave talks about how much he values the collaborative relationship with Terry is. 27:38
- How Terry and Dave met (while working on short stories of The Wicked Righteous). 28:10
- Terry discusses how Buddy is based on a real dog, a pug named “Buddy.” One day he was barking at nothing and Terry thought, “Buddy can see ghosts!”. 32:20
- Dave talks about the creative direction he came up with for Buddy. 37:04
- Feast or Famine easter egg. 34:45
- Both Terry and Dave don’t expect to attend any conventions until 2022. 44:45
- Dave talks about pivoting during the pandemic and digital / online events and auctions. 45:11
- First convention as a fan. 48.20
- First convention as a creator. 53.00
- Pitching and promoting comic books at conventions (they both have different approaches and views). 57:30
- Thunder Round (this was a fun discussion). 57:50
- Super Hero Shoutouts. 1:28:20
- Other projects that Terry and Dave are working on. 1:31:41
- Helpful advice for aspiring comic book creators. 1:37:57
Thunder Round Questions:
- What’s one of your favorite words? Why did you pick that word?
- If I gave you a million dollars, what would you do with it?
- If you had the ability to time travel, who is someone that you would want to have a meal with? Where would you take this person to eat?
- Favorite cocktail?
- What’s one thing you hated as a child but love now as an adult?
- For Terry: What are some of the names you are considering for child #8?
- For Dave: If you had a rock band what would be the name of your band?
- If you could teach a course, what would it be on?
- Can you describe your perfect burger?
- In an alternate universe, what do you think your other version of yourself would be doing right now?
- What’s been your comfort food during this pandemic (shows, books, movies, games)?
- Since you both were Marvel comics readers growing up, if you could work on any Marvel comic property, which one would you want to work on?
- If you make first contact with an alien from another galaxy, what would you give this alien as an example of what Earth has to offer?
- Let’s pretend the world is totally safe to travel. If you could teleport to anywhere in the world right now, where would you go? Why did you pick this place?
- What is your go to karaoke song?
- If the vaccine gave out weird random superpowers as a side effect, what kind of superpower do you think you might get?
Follow Terry Mayo:
Follow Dave Swartz:
Thank YOU so for listening to the Hall H Show podcast – we really appreciate it.
And, thanks to our guests, Terry Mayo and Dave Swartz, please give them a follow and check out his comic book, Buddy – on Kickstarter until Saturday, 6/5/21. Also check out Dave’s Confederate Monster on Indiegogo.
We love putting the spotlight on independent pop culture creatives, if you have a suggestion for a potential guest, please let us know!
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent pop culture creators, don’t be scared to give us a five star rating and a comment on Apple Podcasts. You can also find this podcast on Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, Deezer, Amazon Music, and even Spotify!
Peace, cheers, stay safe out there and if you have a story you’ve been itching to tell, consider creating a movie with your smartphone!
If you would like to recommend a guest that you feel deserves more attention, please reach out to us on any of our social media accounts or the contact form on our contact form.