Hall H Show hosts Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto talk to the Arthur Ebuen about his comic book, ©alifornia, Inc. This episode is also available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Deezer, Amazon Music, and Spotify. The Hall H Show is produced by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
Hello fellow nerds, geeks and supporters of indie pop culture creators! Aaron Nabus here alongside my co-host, Alex Benedicto and we thank you so much for tuning into the Hall H Show!
Joining us on this episode is the writer of the comic book, ©alifornia, Inc., Arthur Ebuen!
The second issue of ©alifornia, Inc. is currently on Kickstarter until Friday, September 15 2023.
We’re looking forward to talking about that and so much more…welcome to the show, Arthur!
Opening Round Questions (Origin Story):
- What was teenage Art like? Where did you grow up and what were you into at that age, pop culture wise?
- Can you briefly tell us about your creative journey? Starting your professional career as an animator for Futurama and The Simpsons, then doing graphic design for Jack in the Box, working as a writer/producer for video and film production and now creating and writing comic books is one heck of a journey!
- What made you want to be a comic book creator?
Comic Book and Kickstarter Questions:
- According to a 2019 post on Forbes, if California were to become its own country, it would be the 5th largest economy. Your comic book, ©alifornia, Inc., envisions Calfornia not only as its own country, but as its own company. Can you please walk us through how you decided on this premise for your comic book?
- How long have you been thinking about it and how long did it take to finish Issue #1?
- Was there a specific moment in time that gave you the push you needed to finally make your comic book a reality?
- How did you find the creative team for the comic book?
- I know you have an active Kickstarter campaign going on right now for issue #2, but could you give our audience a recap of issue #1?
- Without giving away too much of issue #2, what are some things that we can look forward to? You will be debuting some pretty cool diverse characters, right?
- Why did you feel that it was important to do so?
- How many total issues will there be?
Thunder Round Questions:
- Music has a huge impact on us, did you listen to any particular kinds of music to get you in the right mindset to write ©alifornia, Inc.?
- If you could have a meal with anyone from history, who would it be with and where would you take this person to eat?
- California’s economy is at least $3 Trillion. What would you do with that amount of money?
- Why is the Impending Blindness of Billie Scott by Zoe Thorogood one of your favorite books?
- What does “Stay in drugs, don’t do school” mean to you?
- If you could travel to any place and point in time, where would you go? Keep in mind that this would be a one way trip.
- If you were a character on either Futurama or The Simpsons, what kind of character would you be?
- It’s 2am on a Saturday night and the karaoke joint you are at is about to close. You get to sing the last song, what do you sing?
Did We Miss Anything?:
- Is there anything else about ©alifornia, Inc. that you’d like our audience to know about?
- What other projects do you have in the works (that you can tell us about)?
- If we move forward 5 years from now, where do you see yourself as a creator?
Parting Words of Advice:
- Advice as a Graphic Designer – if you were mentoring an up and coming designer, what are some helpful tips that you could share to help set them up for success?
- What is something you learned along your comic book creating journey that you could impart to someone that is thinking about writing their own coming book?
Follow Arthur Ebuen:
And, thanks to our guest, Arthur Ebuen. As you know, we love putting the spotlight on independent pop culture creatives, like Arthur. Please make sure to check out his Kickstarter campaign for his comic book, ©alifornia, Inc. – which ends on September 15 2023.
As you know, we love putting the spotlight on talented creatives, like Arthur. If you have a suggestion for a potential guest, please let us know by reaching out to us on social media or by filling out our contact form!
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent pop culture creators, please give us a rating (hopefully five stars) and a comment on Apple Podcasts. You can also find this podcast on Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, Deezer, Amazon Music, and even Spotify!
Lastly, we are helping to organize a small convention called FilAm CreatorCon in 2024 that will celebrate Filipino American pop culture creators. If you are in the San Diego, CA area on Saturday, September 16, 2023, we will be holding a mixer for this event where you can get to know the planning committee and a few of the creators that will be attending.
For more information, please go to FilAmCreatorCon.com/mixer.
Peace, cheers, and stay safe out there!