Hall H Show host Aaron Nabus interviews David Pepose (writer and co-creator of the comic book Spencer & Locke), at San Diego Comic-Con 2017! This episode is also available on Google Play, iTunes, and Stitcher. Photos by Aaron Nabus.
In addition to an audio podcast, we also have a video version of this interview:
Hello fellow nerds and geeks, Aaron Nabus here and welcome to the Hall H Show podcast!
Ever wonder what would happen if Calvin and Hobbes grew up in Sin City?
Writer David Pepose did just that with his comic book, Spencer & Locke – which is also co-created and drawn by Jorge Santiago, Jr. and published by Action Lab Comics.
I was blown away after reading all four issues! And can’t wait for the movie. Oh wait, I was so excited that I jumped the gun!
We caught up with David at San Diego Comic-Con 2017 and on this interview, we not only get some insight behind the development of Spencer & Locke, but we learn what comics books influenced his journey into becoming a writer, we find out he ignored the creative itch for a long time and started writing Spencer and Locke on a dare and we also discuss some possible actors for the possible Spencer & Locke movie adaptation (fingers crossed).
He also gave some great answers in our Thunder Round!
I’m sure glad he scratched that creative itch and that he graciously took time to talk with us at SDCC…because Spencer & Locke is one badass comic book. We hope you enjoy our conversation with David Pepose!
Intro and Bio
- Can you please introduce yourself and tell us about 11 Year old David? What were you like as kid, where did you grow up and what were you into when you were younger?
- Were you always creative…even at a young age?
- Do you remember what sparked that interest?
- Can you briefly tell us about your creative journey leading up to your comic book, Spencer & Locke?
Spencer & Locke
- Can you tell us about the influence that Calvin & Hobbes had on Spencer & Locke?
- How did you arrive with the names “Spencer” and “Locke?”
- Will there be more than the four issues?
- How long ago were you thinking about writing Spencer & Locke?
- Who would you want to play Spencer and Locke in the possible movie adaptation?
- Any advice for other people who want to write/create their own comic book?
- If we gave you a million dollars, and you had to spend it all in a day…what would you do with it?
- If you were a mutant who could teleport anywhere in the world, where would you go and why would you want to go there?
- What are three movies that you could watch over and over?
- What advice would you give your 11 year old self?
- What’s one thing your fans would be surprised to know about you?
- What super hero or villain best represents you?
Jorge Santiago Jr.: Twitter
Joe Mulvey: Twitter
Maan House: Twitter
Ben Torres: Twitter
Gavin Guidry: Twitter
- What’s next for Spencer & Locke (we touch on the movie pitch and possible comic book sequel)?
- How do you stay organized with the business side and creative side?
Follow Our Guest Online:
Thank YOU for listening to the Hall H Show!
Our mission is to put the mainstream Hall H spotlight on artists, writers and other creatives!
We especially love emerging talent and people we think deserve more exposure like writer David Pepose!
As “Artist Alley Evangelists,” we encourage you to please visit Artist Alley at all the conventions you plan on going to this year.
Speaking of conventions…please make sure you are continuing to be SDCC fit for the long con season ahead. Join in on the fun by following the #SDCCfit movement online on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
If you are listening to us on Google Play, iTunes or Stitcher, we would appreciate a rating and a comment. We are always looking for interesting guests to have on the show…so if you have any suggestions, please reach out to us on social media using the hashtag, #HallHshow.
Are you an artist wanting to promote your Kickstarter campaign for an upcoming project? Let us know!
Peace…cheers…and Artists Assemble!
Music by The Passion HiFi. #HallHShow #ArtistsAssemble