On this Hall H Show episode, hosts Aaron Nabus, Alex Benedicto and Jason Lethert (from HeroJournalism) continue their discussion with the breaking/bboy culture podcast, the Not So Fresh Podcast. As this was a joint podcast session (one of many more to come), please listen to the part 1 here (we drank like Thor and The Warriors Three, as we continued our discussion…so both episodes are NSFW):Joining us from the Not So Fresh Podcast for part 2 of our joint podcast are:
- Art Tejada (Destijl) — a member of the world renowned bboy crew, Rock So Fresh, he has also hosted / DJ’d a now defunct internet show on Earthbound Radio that was on during the early 2000’s.
- Saso — also a member of Rock So Fresh, he has hosted many bboy events in the San Diego, CA community. He also a former member of the world famous dance crew, The Jabbawockeez.
- Mad Mike — a big supporter of bboy culture, he created a reoccurring event in the early 2000’s called The Get Down. These events featured mainly bboy/bgirl battles with the occasional dose of graffiti, rap battles and of course DJ’s to provide the music. It’s newest incarnation takes place on July 22, 2017 in San Diego, CA .
- RoxRite — a globe trotting bboy, he has gained worldwide acclaim from his many accomplishments in and out of competition. One of his biggest accomplishments being the 2011 Red Bull BC One Champion.
About The Not So Fresh Podcast:
In the fall of 2016 after much debate and throwing ideas at each other, they decided to start a podcast. As big fans of other podcasts such as The Joe Rogan Experience and Bill Burr’s Monday Morning Podcast, they figured they could begin with a new, fresh perspective in the podcast community created by a bunch of guys that come from the hip hop crowd.
On this episode, we will:
- Get to know the Not So Fresh Podcast better and get some insight on what it means to be a bboy from both a local and global perspective.
- Ask the Not So Fresh Podcast a few off the beaten path questions in our Thunder Round.
- Put a quick spotlight on some artists that recently caught our attention online in our Art Watch segment.
- Then we’ll Flash Forward and talk about what’s on the horizon for all of us.
Thunder Round Questions:
- What super hero or villain best represents you?
- If super heroes and villains were bboys, which three characters would you want on your crew?
- What would you do if we gave you a million dollars?
- It’s 2am at a karaoke joint…you have the last song…what do you sing?
- If you could have dinner with anyone dead or alive, who would it be and where would you eat at?
Art Watch Artists:
- Adam Adolphus (Photographer)
- Art (Destijl):
- Nerdwriter1 (weekly video essay series)
- Good Type (Typography)
- Mad Mike Logic:
About The Get Down (from TuffRocking.com):
The image The Get Down strives to capture, is not some big dance competition or some snobby art exhibition, but the type of vibe that was alive during its heyday. We want others to experience the social gatherings of talent, the funky beats of the DJ’s, the gathering of people who share the same love for the arts, the dance, and the music, with a POSITIVE vibe. Although it is not possible to get back the feeling that those people in the Bronx experienced during the 70s, it is possible to remember why we are involved in this scene and how the past has influenced us. The Get Down Brothers, now in their 14th year of bridging the gap between generations, are still committed to bboy culture, the community, and keeping that community jam vibe alive.
The Next event will be Saturday July 22nd 2017 at Centro Cultural De La Raza in beautiful Balboa Park. San Diego, CA.
Click here for more info.
Follow Our Guests Online:
Mad Mike Logic: Instagram
Thank YOU for listening to the Hall H Show! Our mission is to put the mainstream Hall H spotlight on artists, writers and other creatives…such as bboys and fellow podcasters, the Not So Fresh Podcast!
We all love attending conventions…so please make it a point to visit Artist Alley at all the conventions you plan on going to this year. Speaking of conventions…please make sure you are continuing to be SDCC fit for the long con season ahead. Join in on the fun by following the #SDCCfit movement online on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
If you are listening to us on Google Play, iTunes or Stitcher, we would appreciate a rating and a comment. We are always looking for interesting guests to have on the show…so if you have any suggestions, please reach out to us on social media using the hashtag, #HallHshow.
Are you an artist wanting to promote your Kickstarter campaign for an upcoming project? Let us know! Peace…cheers…and Artists Assemble! Music by The Passion HiFi. #HallHShow #ArtistsAssemble