We welcome back Keithan Jones, creator of The Power Knights and owner of KID Comics.
On this Hall H Show episode, Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto reconnect with a previous guest, comic book creator and owner of publisher, Kid Comics, Keithan Jones!
Young or old, the KID in you never dies. That’s the philosophy behind this company. I created The Power Knights when I was 11 years old. In those years creating comics on a professional level was just a dream. I felt I owed my younger self the opportunity to make it a reality.
With a quote like that, how could we not invite Keithan Jones, owner of independent comic book publisher Kid Comics back to the show?
Keithan was gracious enough to let us swing by KID Comics HQ for a two hour conversation where he gave us an update on The Power Knights issue #3, which was successfully funded on Kickstarter. He also touched on what it’s like being an artist and a business owner.
We last talked to him back in episode 2…which we recorded in November of 2016.
On this episode, we will:
- Get a few updates from Keithan regarding a few projects he talked about the last time he was on:
- Get some insight on how it is like to be an independent comic book creator and publisher.
- Put a quick spotlight on some artists that recently caught our attention online in our Art Watch segment.
- Ask Keithan some off the beaten path questions in our Thunder Round.
- Then we’ll Flash Forward and talk about what’s on the horizon for all of us.
About KID Comics (from their website):
Our mission here at KID is simple, have fun making the coolest comics on Earth. That means comics of quality and care that are intended to entertain you in the way only comic books can. This is not comics trying to be movies or paperback novels. This is SEQUENTIAL ART harking back to the days of genre pushing masters like Jack Kirby and Will Eisner. KID is about the synergy created by graphics, words and the readers’ imagination.
We are betting there is a new generation of readers who are hungry for new experiences in the comic book format. Hungry for new heroes, new villains and new worlds to populate their imaginations. We are here to entertain you, let’s get started!
About The Power Knights comic book issue #3 (from the successfully funded Kickstarter campaign):
Metal Star, Bluzara, Dragon Blaze, Camouflage, Princess Raxi and Warseed are highly skilled warriors from different planets bound together to wage war for the maleficent, King Sinoj. Under a wicked spell, they enforced Sinoj’s monarchy across the galaxy with brut force. Eventually, they were freed from the spell and fought back the rule of the King. However still charged with the atrocities they committed, they were sentenced to death by being sent into a blackhole. Mysteriously, they cheat death and wake up to new lives on Earth. An oath is taken to not interfere with mankind. Warseed however, scoffs at kowtowing to the weaker human race. He desires to take control of his own destiny by transforming humans into a powerful hybrid army of his own to command. This decision forces the other Knights to come out of the shadows to stop Warseed. Two brothers, Kandle and Davion Watson find themselves caught in the middle of this intergalactic power struggle brought to Earth! The story continues in issue 3, as The Knights do battle against Warseed’s newly formed army for the first time!
Art Watch Artists:
- Dawud Anyabwile
- Co-Creator and Ilustrator of the Brotherman comics series.
- Bobby Rubio (check out our interview with him)
- The KID Comics Team:
- Dawud Anyabwile
- Rachel Stott (UK)
- Greg Pak
- Alex Ross (recently saw his Star Wars Darth Vader with Stormtroopers in the background piece on Twitter)
Thunder Round Questions:
- If real life was a cartoon, what cartoon universe would you want to live in?
- Iron Fist…have you watched it? What’s your take on it? What about Ghost in the Shell?
- I know you’re a huge Macross fan, do you have a favorite character from that anime? In the movie adaptation, who would you want to play that role?
- If you were to lead a mission to Mars…what four other people would you want to take the trip with you?
- I sometimes ask people what they would do with a million dollars, but this time I’ll ask – what would you do if I gave you $100?
- If you were president, what artwork would you hang in the Oval Office?
Follow Keithan Jones Online:
Thanks YOU for listening to the Hall H Show!
Our mission is to put the mainstream Hall H spotlight on artists, writers and other creatives!
We especially love emerging talent and people we think deserve more exposure like independent comic book creator Keithan Jones!
We all love attending conventions…so please make it a point to visit Artist Alley at all the conventions you plan on going to this year.
Speaking of conventions…please make sure you are continuing to be SDCC fit for the long con season ahead. Join in on the fun by following the #SDCCfit movement online on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
If you are listening to us on Google Play, iTunes or Stitcher, we would appreciate a rating and a comment. We are always looking for interesting guests to have on the show…so if you have any suggestions, please reach out to us on social media using the hashtag, #HallHshow.
Are you an artist wanting to promote your Kickstarter campaign for an upcoming project? Let us know!
Peace…cheers…and Artists Assemble!
Music by The Passion HiFi. #HallHShow #ArtistsAssemble