Aaron Nabus from the Hall H Show podcast talked with indie comic creator David Pepose about his comic book, Spencer and Locke 2. This episode is also available on Google Play, iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio and Spotify. The Hall H Show is hosted by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
Hey there Hall H Show listeners!
Aaron Nabus here and on this episode, we’re joined by one of my favorite comic book creators, the writer and co-creator of Spencer and Locke, David Pepose! Spencer and Locke is also drawn and co-created by Jorge Santiago Jr.
We last had David on the podcast back in episode 22 which was recorded at San Diego Comic-Con 2017.
We’ve kept in touch and and I’ve seen him at events and panels that our friend, Rylend Grant has organized.
I love Spencer and Locke and its tagline, “What if Calvin and Hobbes grew up in Sin City?” I also love and appreciate that David took some time out of his busy schedule today to not only talk about Spencer and Locke 2, which hits stores on 5/1/19, but also his other books that he is working on, Going to the Chapel and Grand Theft Astro.
We also discussed:
- What is it like working with Action Lab? Can you describe the pitching process?
- If you had a chance to give some sage advice to the David Pepose that was just starting to embark on his comic book creation journey, what would you say?
- You were an intern at DC comics, became a comics journalist and are now a beloved indie comic writer and creator. What’s next for you? What does the next five years look like?
Welcome back to the show, David and thank you to writer, Russell Nohelty who submitted a couple of questions for me to ask David:
- How is the promotion of your second series different from your first?
- Do you find it easier to have multiple series at the same time, or do you find that it pulls you in too many directions at once to be wholly effect at either?
Thunder Round Questions:
I also love and appreciate that David took some time out of his busy schedule today to not only talk about Spencer and Locke 2, which hits stores on 5/1/19, but also his other books that he is working on, Going to the Chapel and Grand Theft Astro.
- I know you love pizza…does pineapple belong on a pizza?
- In Shazam, Barry Batson yells “Shazam” to transform into a superhero. What word would you use to transform into a superhero? Follow up: What kind of powers would you have?
- We usually ask guests “if you could have a meal with anyone dead or alive, who would it be and where you eat at?” We’re going to tweak this one bit. “If Locke was have a meal with anyone dead, alive or imaginary, who would it be with and where would they eat at?”
- The last time we had you on, I asked you what you would you do if I gave you a million dollars. What would you do with $100?
- If you had a chance to go on a one way trip back in time to change an event, what event would you change?
- You encounter a crash landed alien from another galaxy What rom com do you have this alien while you are out promoting your books.
- You’re at your favorite comic book shop and you meet a kid that is new to comics is wanting some advice on which comics to read. What three books do you recommend?
- I know “Kiss from a Rose” is one of your favorite songs and is the song that you told me last time that you would use to close down a karaoke joint. If you were to sing a duet with Rylend Grant, what song would you want to sing?
Follow David Pepose:
Follow Spencer and Locke:
Follow Going to the Chapel:
Follow Grand Theft Astro:
Thank you so much for tuning into the Hall H Show podcast, where we love showcasing independent comic book creators like David Pepose.
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent creators, we would love a rating (hopefully five stars) and a comment on iTunes or where ever you listen to podcasts. Also, please share our episodes using the hashtag #HallHshow.
Peace, cheers and if you would like to recommend a guest for our show, please reach out to us on any of our social media accounts or our contact form.