Charlie Stickney, comes on the Hall H Show to talk about his comic book, White Ash! This episode is also available on Google Play, iTunes, Stitcher, iHeart Radio and Spotify. The Hall H Show is hosted by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
First of all…I just want to say that I hope you are safe and healthy. I know it’s a very scary time and that this current pandemic is a huge adjustment, especially for those with compromised immune systems and underlying health issues. I’m going on my third week of being on lockdown and dearly miss some of my family, friends and my co-workers. I even miss such mundane things such as just dropping by my favorite ramen place after work or getting some Comic Con Fit steps at the beach on a whim.
Second…I recorded eight Hall H Show episodes late last year before the coronavirus pandemic hit, featuring Omar Mora, Christie Shinn, Rylend Grant, Tony Fabro, Lord Mesa, June “Izzi” Inocencio, Trevor Frick and my guest for episode 84, Charlie Stickney, the writer and creator of the fantasy / romance / horror comic, White Ash.
Unfortunately, pre-coronavirus, work and quite a few side projects had taken up quite a bit of my time. But since all conventions and events have been been either postponed or cancelled, I have more time now – so I’ll be launching all of these episodes soon!
I enjoyed my conversation with Charlie as he has a way of speaking, a cadence, a style that accentuates his sincerity. If you follow him online, or know him personally, you can tell that he cares. He cares about creating a great story, great value and he also wants to make sure you succeed as well.
There’s a lot of gold in this episode, from talking about his early love of Lord of the Rings, Sword of Shannara and the Transformers cartoon and comic book series to succeeding at creating a comic book, building a fanbase and funding Kickstarter campaigns…while raising a family.
Speaking of Kickstarter campaigns, his comic book, White Ash, has an active campaign going on that end on April 8, 2020. So please check it out!
Thanks again for listening to my conversation with Charlie and please be safe and healthy out there!
Comics books were my first love, my gateway drug into visual storytelling.~ Charlie Stickney
A Few of the Topics Discussed:
- Charlie’s origin story. Where did you grow up? What were you into when you were 11 year’s old?
- When did you know that you wanted to be a writer? Was there a particular moment that sparked your interest as a writer?
- How long were you thinking about this story and how long did it take for you to create the White Ash universe?
- How did you find your creative team?
- How did you grow your fanbase?
Thunder Round Questions:
- What color best describes you?
- Would you rather be an elf or a dwarf in the White Ash universe?
- If you could recommend a book or movie to your 15 year old self what would it be and why did you choose that book or movie?
- What song would you sing to close for the last song at a Karaoke joint?
- If you were President of the United States, what kind of art work would you hang up in the Oval Office in White House?
- What’s one thing your fans would be surprised to learn about you?
Follow Our Guest:
Thank YOU so much for listening to the Hall H Show podcast! And of course, a huge thank you to our guest, Charlie Stickney. White Ash is such a beautifully executed comic book and I hope you get a chance to escape into it’s story and art.
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent creators, please leave us a comment and rating (hopefully five stars) on iTunes. You can also find this podcast on Google Play, Stitcher, iHeartRadio and even Spotify!
Have a comic book or pop culture creative that you would like to hear on the show, please let us know on any of our social media channels or our contact form.
Peace…cheers…and please be safe out there and look out for one another! ~Aaron