Hall H Show host Aaron Nabus talks to Jay Jay Maniquis, a travel vlogger and pop culture fan! Check out his Jaycation YouTube channel! This episode is also available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Deezer, Amazon Music, and Spotify. The Hall H Show is hosted by Aaron Nabus and Alex Benedicto and is the “Voice of Independent Creators.”
Hey there Hall H Show listeners, Aaron Nabus here and joining me on this episode is Jay Jay Maniquis, a pop culture fan (Back to the Future is his favorite movie) and food and travel vlogger with a fast growing YouTube channel called Jaycation. On this episode we talk about growing up in San Diego, his travels to Spain, France, Italy, New Zealand, The Philippines and other places, the importance of engaging with your fans and community, San Diego Comic-Con, his love for CW shows (Arrow, The Flash, One Tree Hill, Dawson’s Creek), skydiving, and so much more!
At the time of our chat he was about 150 subscribers from the 30k milestone (which he has since passed). He does a lot for local businesses and also provides great value for “Jaycationers” (like me). So let’s all continue to support him as he makes his way to his personal goal of 100k YouTube subscribers!
This was a fun and informative chat with Jay Jay and I hope to meet up with him soon for some good food and beer! Enjoy! ~Aaron
Check Out Some Of Jaycation’s Food and Travel Vlogs:
Opening Round Questions:
- Where did you grow up?
- What was teenage Jay Jay like?
- What movies, TV shows, books, video games and music impacted you the most back then?
- You worked for the San Diego Chargers for 11 years. What was your typical day like and how did you put yourself on that career path? Any fond memories that you’d like to share?
- When was your first San Diego Comic-Con?
- What is a typical day like for you at Comic-Con? What kind of attendee are you (panels, collector)?
- If someone was coming to San Diego for the first time for Comic-Con, what are some helpful tips that you’d like to give?
- When and why did you start your YouTube channel, Jaycation? Why is traveling around the world, and documenting it important to you? Why do you love what you do? What drives you to create?
- Tell me about your time in Barcelona, Spain, as an English teacher. What was that experience like and why did you decide to do that?
- How long did it take for you to find your voice, to be comfortable in front of a camera?
- How do you stay organized? How do you plan and decide what content to produce?
- How did the pandemic affect the type of content you wanted to produce?
- Do you have a team that helps you out or are you a solo operation?
- What kind of gear do you use? Streamyard?
- You’re no stranger to doing collaboration videos (like your recent Las Vegas videos with Norma Geli and Dan Vs. World). Who’s on your short list for potential collaborations down the road? Do you have any dream collaborations?
- Talk to me about community building. I think you do a pretty good job with interacting with your fans. You even respond to a lot of your YouTube comments and you have a group on Facebook called “It’s Always Sunny in San Diego”. Why do you go the extra step to engage with your community?
- How does it make you feel when your fans recognize you in public?
- Once we get past this pandemic and it’s safe to travel abroad, what are some places you want to visit?
- Any tips for anyone starting their own travel channel on YouTube?
- A lot of creatives that have found success are the ones that seem to have set themselves up to play the long game. What are some things that you’ve done to put yourself in the best position for long term success?
Thunder Round Questions:
- Describe yourself using a color.
- Who is your favorite San Diego Charger?
- The Fish Taco is part of the San Diego experience. What other foods do you think are a good representation of what our city has to offer?
- In terms of movies, TV shows, video games, and/or books, what has been your comfort food during this pandemic?
- If you had the ability to time travel, who is someone that you would want to have a meal with? Where would you take this person for lunch or dinner? What are some things that you would ask this person?
- It’s closing time at the local karaoke bar and you get to sing the last song. What do you sing?
- While San Diego is an awesome place to live in, what other places would you consider moving to?
- Skydiving? Where have you skydived?
- What pop culture universe would you want to be a character in?
- After a long day of video editing, what beer do you crave?
- What’s one thing your fans would be surprised to know about you?
- May is Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month. What does it mean to you to be Filipino American?
- What are your top three Filipino dishes to eat?
- If I gave you a million dollars, what would you do with it? How about $100?
- What superpower do you wish you had?
Follow Jay Jay Maniquis (Jaycation):
Thank YOU so for listening to the Hall H Show podcast – we really appreciate it.
We love putting the spotlight on independent pop culture creatives, if you have a suggestion for a potential guest, please let us know!
If you believe in our mission to be the voice of independent pop culture creators, don’t be scared to give us a five star rating and a comment on Apple Podcasts. You can also find this podcast on Google Podcasts, Stitcher, iHeartRadio, Deezer, Amazon Music, and even Spotify!
Peace, cheers, stay safe out there and if you have a story you’ve been itching to tell, consider creating a movie with your smartphone!
If you would like to recommend a guest that you feel deserves more attention, please reach out to us on any of our social media accounts or the contact form on our contact form.